Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day: Love in the name of profits!

Have you noticed your waist-line grow with every holiday?

Chocolates for Valentines day, Candy for Easter, Candy for Halloween, Candy for thanksgiving and Christmas... In India there are sweets for every occasion. At least someone is making profit.

I'm a huge romantic, or was... but life happens, and one gets jaded about such things. However, doesn't mean I don't love my boyfriend any less. In fact when I love I make sure its 33.3% Intimacy (intellectual, mental chemistry), 33.3% Commitment (trust and loyalty) and 33.3% Passion (chemistry, if you get my drift!) ... lastly (this is my own creation) 0.1% personality/character = 100% True Pure Strong, Intense but Stable LOVE! Actually that's Robert Sternberg's Triangular Theory of Love, which I studied in college. Yes I studied Psychology, anyway this theory made sense to me, and a very good balance between what's needed in a healthy, mature relationship. Definitely read it, if you really want to get out of all the games, drama and bull$!@#.




Love is still a combination of more than just this! It takes a lot of work, acceptance, patience, tolerance, being open to change, caring, sharing, compromising, space, understanding...

Back to Valentine's Day, I just read an article that exposes the truth about this holiday that celebrates LOVE! Read it... Pagans in Rome celebrated it by getting drunk and naked and whipping women with animal hide. Kind of explains rape, violence against women etc. However the sexual deviant side of me thinks... "hmm there could me some "sado-masochistic" fun here! ;-)

Anyway, apparently the Christians came in and saved the day, by changing it into a clothed event, and later it got romanticized by Chaucer and Shakespeare... but of course!
                                           .... And now we have this Hallmark Holiday!


I do enjoy Dark Chocolate, and which girl doesn't like being doted upon every now and then. Yes I still fantasize about my Boyfriend Ryan, riding a black horse, in shiny armor, coming to save me from a bunch of werewolves, and chopping their heads off with a silver sword. massacring them all, like a hero, and then passionately kissing me...
... and then I wake up! Ok it's highly unrealistic, but the best part is being surprised by your love when you least expect it, in good ways, and letting love take its own course. Come to think of it, I'd rather be the one on the horse saving him... sometimes! Times have changed and so have fantasies! Funny how life is!

In the end I can have chocolates any day... No! Cause I'm watching my weight, and no sugars!! He does makes me feel special every night when we cuddle! And do I really need to feed this consumer based commercial holiday, also once again advertising catering to women's insecurities, also I celebrate my love for me, my love for you, my love for my parents, my love for Ryan, everyday! If you feel that your man / woman doesn't acknowledge you appropriately with chocolates, roses, etc. Then perhaps that is your insecurity. Reflect. However, sometimes it might be tradition between a couple... I remember Ryan told me he loved me 2011 Feb 14th at dinner. It was special but I don't feel it is a necessity to celebrate it. To each their own. I really recommend communication as being the biggest thing if you aren't happy with you valentine. I think mainly valentine's day is about loving, trusting and having faith in love, and letting go of expectations It is just another day!

I've always had mixed feelings about this day! But this is my 3rd Valentine's Day with Ryan. He better have something planned for the weekend ;-) really though I don't care as long as he'll just be mine, and serenade me with the guitar, like he does all the time. <3

Whatever - buy chocolates, buy local, and buy the 3 terabyte hard drive while you're at it!


Happy Valentine's day to you all!


Breathe!



This year I wanted to find a creative way to share my love with all my friends. So this is what I did:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear what you thought of this post!