Sunday, December 06, 2009

The Men Who Stare at Goats




"A reporter, trying to lose himself in the romance of war after his marriage fails, gets more than he bargains for when he meets a special forces agent who reveals the existence of a secret, psychic military unit whose goal is to end war as we know it. The founder of the unit has gone missing and the trail leads to another psychic soldier who has distorted the mission to serve his own ends." - Rob Harris


This movie was bizarre yet intriguing. It made me think about how ridiculous this Hippie Cult in the army was. How could something so ridiculous be funded by the government? However in the end of the movie I realized to begin with the whole idea of any war is ridiculous. People like fighting, its primal instinct to fight and survive. However humans are conscientiousness beings, that separates us from the animals. Since we have the ability to rise above the "fighting to live attitude"... and we have such great intelligence then why can we not create a peace, rather than create guns and bombs? So although this movie was hilariously absurd in all aspects, it had a deeper message. I didn't get the whole movie until Hrishi pointed out there is a profound meaning in the movie. It's something to think about (for those who wish to ponder) even though it is a laughable comedy.











4 comments:

  1. I give this movie 9/10! because i didn't want it to end. I wish the goats got to safety. It just seemed very untied in the end. Also I do not think hippies are that ridiculous, some very good ideas were vocalized by their movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna see this movie just to see the goats fall down ;) BTW.. go see "Up in the Air".. Clooney's best work yet..

    ReplyDelete
  3. The war is over,
    the people are dead.
    The world is empty,
    and so is my head.
    - don't know who wrote this, but i heard my sister say it once, or maybe Mark Hartnett (my bro). I googled it and nothing came up. So I'm claiming it as my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw Mr. Fantastic Mr. Fox. It was awesome. M mother read that book to my sister and I before going to bed every night. We loved it as children, and we all loved the movie. George Clooney was Mr. Fox. He and the rest of the star studded cast did a good job. However the art work was great, some of the storyline was slightly changed, but it was great all round!

    I love George Clooney... (a little).

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear what you thought of this post!